Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

WEEK 4 - Environmental Sensitive Index

The week four activity involved collecting, analyzing and reporting on the data surrounding the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill disaster in the Gulf of Mexico that occurred on April 20th, 2010. Data from LABINS was downloaded in the form of DLG images for a base map. I projected the TIFF image to NAD 1983 HARN State Plane Florida North FIPS 0903 Feet. I chose Destin from the index as my study area. I created three maps.

Map 1 was ESI Creature Habitat clipped to the Destin Index. I re-projected the data to the same NAD83. I used the imported symbology from the Alabama case study that was provided.



Map 2 was the Shoreline Habits which I re-projected and symbolized the same as before. I added the layer depicting Areas of interest and the Booming Plan.



The third map I created was State Managed Areas. I used the same projections and clipping areas as before. Similarly I added the symbology to be consistent with the ESI standards. In addition I opened the attribute table and created a summary, saving it to a database. I then generated a table for the layout displaying the areas of the Managed Areas.



I didn’t have many issues with this assignment other than the fact that it took an inordinate amount of time and in the end I still didn’t have enough time to complete the maps as thoroughly as I would have liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment